Ready for Murph?
Every year on Memorial Day, Brute Force Training supports the most legendary HeroWOD of all, The Murph Challenge.
So, what exactly is The Murph Challenge?
This incredible event honors LT Michael Murphy, a military member who was killed in Afghanistan on June 28th, 2005. The Murph WOD (“body armor”) was Lieutenant Murphy's favorite workout.
The CrossFit community has since renamed the workout The Murph Challenge, to honor Lieutenant Murphy. It is now a HUGE commemorative workout that people engage in all over the world, on or around Memorial Day.
On this special occasion, fitness enthusiasts from all over the globe gather in hearts, minds, and commitment to attempt the ultimate Hero Workout: Murph.
The Murph Details
Murph challenge rules: The workout consists of a 1-mile run, followed by 100 pull-ups, then 200 push-ups, and 300 squats, ending off with another 1-mile run. Participants must also wear a weighted vest throughout the entire workout.
How long should Murph take?
Everyone is different and will complete the challenge at a different time. Generally, the average participant time falls between 50 and 90 minutes. The fastest Murph workout results on record are about 40- 45 minutes.
Training for the Murph
Are you wondering how to do the Murph workout?
This year, Brute Force Training offered the brand new 6-week-long Tier 1 Training Plan specially designed to get participants ready for the Murph Challenge.
“Created by Beau Dorning, Tier 1 is a program designed to develop the power, endurance, and speed necessary for success in the operational community. Tier 1 culminates with the legendary and feared HeroWOD, Murph, as the ultimate benchmark created by LT Murphy himself to stay fit while deployed. This program will build throughout its 6-week duration to deliver you ready to perform your best Murph ever.”
You can, of course, train on your own by creating your own workout strategy, but one thing you cannot replace, is the best weighted vest, ever. Check out the Brute Force Training APC Vest to see what all the hype is about!
This APC (Anti Plate Carrier) Vest receives incredible workout vest reviews.
What makes it so amazing?
- It allows unbeatable flexibility, and lets you move freely through your workouts as the vest bends and twists with your body.
- The APC Weighted Vest’s fully adjustable straps around the sides and over the shoulders along with the shoulder strap padding, make it the most comfortable and well-fit vest by far.
- There are 10 flexible and adjustable 2-pound weight packets filled with recycled steel blend instead of metal plates so movements are not restricted and the vest does not bounce around while working out.
- This weight blend and elasticated straps not only move and flex with you, giving you complete freedom of movement but also the freedom to breathe without restriction.
Murph Workout Tips
The Murph workout is not easy. You need to train. Here are some tips from Brute Force to start you on the right path:
- Break Up Your Reps: The Murph Challenge includes push-ups, pull-ups, and squats. Break them up in a way that keeps you moving at a maintainable pace. That will set you up for greater success. To break up the Murph workout, you could try the 'Cindy' style. It consists of 20 rounds of 5 pull-ups, 10 push-ups, and 15 air squats. Or you can stick to only breaking up the movements that wear you out most.
Watch Transitions: Don’t waste too much time with transitions between different movements. Plan your sets and reps in a way that keeps you moving. This way, you won’t waste unnecessary time or energy.
Scale properly: Know your body and what you are capable of and work from there. For example, if you cannot do push-ups, train by doing box push-ups to build strength. It truly is a challenge so be safe and look after your body. Start where you can and build up.
Modified Murph Challenge: Yes, you can modify the challenge! For example, if pull-ups are too tough, try seated pull-ups. If you are a beginner, google some Murph modifications for more ideas. There are many popular options out there so do your research.
- Recovery: Be sure to hydrate yourself before, during, and after the Murph challenge. Eat healthy recovery foods and of course, rest and stretch to help repair your hard-working muscles.
If you are on the fence about this incredible challenge, remember that there are many benefits to doing the Murph.
- For one, you will be joining a community of like-minded people who will
share in your struggles and accomplishments as you train.
- Your strength and endurance will improve noticeably from the time you start training, till after you have completed the challenge!
- Murph training will get you in tip-top shape so you will feel GREAT and the Tier 1 training plan could open up an entirely new world of workout opportunities that you can enjoy and stick to.
- The Murph challenge is an incredible event and a wonderful way to honor a true hero.
- The Murph is for everyone no matter who or where you are.
So what are you waiting for?