True athletes have incredibly strong bodies that can cope with tasks under strenuous conditions and complete those tasks accurately and efficiently.
Their bodies function this well because they train to perform at a high level, using different movements with different training equipment. Their specialized workouts develop their functional fitness.
You can also benefit from a functional fitness routine with or without workout equipment.
Let's take a closer look at functional training.
What is Functional Fitness Training?
“Functional training is a type of exercise that looks like the movements you
make in your daily life. It can be helpful for athletic performance, injury prevention, and other everyday fitness tasks”. Jumpstart WebMD
Functional fitness training is a great way to have a complete workout and incorporates the use of many muscle groups in your body.
Functional fitness training emphasizes stability, mobility, core strength, and muscle strength by mirroring everyday movements like pulling, pushing, squatting, bending, etc.
These workouts improve our natural functional abilities.
Functional Training Benefits
The wonderful thing about functional fitness workouts is that everyone can benefit from it, regardless of their ability or age.
This type of workout offers benefits with real results:
- Agility- Functional fitness training movements often require repetition and coordination. This helps improve your everyday agility and mobility and gives you a competitive edge.
- Physique- A functional fitness workout can help you become leaner or grow muscle. Utilizing multiple muscle groups during movements can give you the athletic look you are working towards. The equipment you choose or opt not to use will help towards your goal.
- Cardio Ability- Functional training builds your stamina for cardio activities and gives you more energy.
- Lean Muscles- Functional training develops and helps maintain your muscle mass. This is true for all ages and stages.
- Calorie Burn- Functional training workouts burn calories.
Functional Workout Equipment
When engaging in functional fitness training, you are training with purpose. You will need the best functional training equipment to get you started on your way to an incredible workout.
Whether you are U.L.O.O. (Unstable Load Odd Object) training or strength training, you will want the best equipment to assist your functional development.
Some pieces that Brute Force recommends are:
- Kettlebells -Brute Force kettlebells are one part kettlebell, one part sandbag, and all parts awesome! This solid design is perfect for your functional swinging and lifting movements as well as adding some extra weight to leg day!
- Brute Balls This is a sand-filled, adjustable, soft stone/atlas stone strongman ball. Perfect for your functional training lifts, squats, throws, and more.
- Sandbags With access to over 300 moves for your training due to the four pairs of soft handles, nothing beats sandbag training for functionality combined with strength.
- Functional Weighted Vest The most comfortable vest on the planet offers you the opportunity to improve your workout during every move you make whilst training.
Functional fitness can truly improve your overall health and your daily life.
Functional strength training is relatively simple, and it is safe for almost anyone. Strengthening your muscles will help you with all of your everyday activities.
For great workout ideas, check out these training plans, designed by professionals, from Brute Force.